January 21, 2019, 07:57:32 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Classic Album of the Day 2/25/09: Dream Theater - Images & Words  (Read 12034 times)
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »

This is THE progressive metal album, IMO. I am sure others will disagree and that is fine, but for my money this is the prog metal album that all other prog metal albums are compared too. I remember seeing the video for "Pull Me Under" in 1992 for the first time and was just astonished at the level of musicianship being demonstrated. I purchased the album and was even more impressed at what I was hearing.  I feel in love with the band after getting that album. While I don;t think they have done anything since that has touched Images & Words, they still have put out some quality prog metal albums. It was a thrill for me to FINALLY see them live last Spring on the Progressive Nation tour.  I would list my favorite songs, but honestly there is not one song I don;t love on this album.  So what are your thoughts on this seminal prog metal classic?

Track Listing:

1. Pull Me Under
   2. Another Day
   3. Take The Time
   4. Surrounded
   5. Metropolis - Part I "The Miracle And The Sleeper"
   6. Under A Glass Moon
   7. Wait For Sleep
   8. Learning To Live

Venom

Welcome to My HELL
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »

Great album.  This one, Awake and Scenes From a Memory are the only DT albums I go back to with any regularity.  I was one of those kids who saw the video for Pull Me Under back in the mid 90's and was blown away.  Great stuff.  devilbang
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

Great album.  This one, Awake and Scenes From a Memory are the only DT albums I go back to with any regularity.  I was one of those kids who saw the video for Pull Me Under back in the mid 90's and was blown away.  Great stuff.  devilbang
one thing that has always thrown me about the video, why in the he|| is James wearing a Napalm Death t-shirt??  lol lol scratch

Welcome to My HELL
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »

Absolute Must-Have! The album that made me a total Prog-Head!  devilbang

I remember walking in Rock En Stock ( Montreal's ultimate metal CD store at the time ) the day it was released, and there it was blasting in the store right at that insane instrumental break in the middle of Metropolis. I asked René the metal dude at the counter, what the fuck is that??? Needless to say I bought it right away...  YES
A few months later I saw the band perform at the Club Soda in front of 50 people(!) and what a fuckin great show that was, they opened with Metropolis!!!  bowdown

It was extremely bold for a band to release such an album in 1992; when just about everyone and their mother was trying to cash-in on the Grunge trend...
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »

The song, "Pull Me Under" is ok,,,,,
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

one thing that has always thrown me about the video, why in the he|| is James wearing a Napalm Death t-shirt??  lol lol scratch

I remember back in like 93 or something buying a Napalm Death album because I figured they had to be a power/prog band because LaBrie was wearing that shirt.  Ahhh, the wonders of pre-internet purchases.  roll
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »

I remember back in like 93 or something buying a Napalm Death album because I figured they had to be a power/prog band because LaBrie was wearing that shirt.  Ahhh, the wonders of pre-internet purchases.  roll

Doh! lol roll lol
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »

Doh! I bet you were really surprised!!!  lol lol lol lol

Welcome to My HELL
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »

Very suprised.  lol
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »

Then again, Barney Greenway is a huge Dream Theater fan  devilbang

concussed
Metalhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »

I don't spin this nearly as mcuh as I once did, but when I do it's just awesome...
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »

I don't spin this nearly as mcuh as I once did, but when I do it's just awesome...
devilbang devilbang devilbang devilbang devilbang

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

I still have this on cassette but no easy way to play it so I haven't heard any if it in....... maybe 10 years? 
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »

I still have this on cassette but no easy way to play it so I haven't heard any if it in....... maybe 10 years? 
get the CD!! idea

Welcome to My HELL
MetalShock
Metal King

There is only ONE Nation, the Raider Nation!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »

Essential.  My favorite DT album.

SMOKED OUT
You will make it up to me, you will make amends.  We will not be family, and we can not be friends.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.