January 21, 2019, 07:23:28 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Classic Album of the Day: Venom-- Welcome to Hell  (Read 11071 times)
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

The first album I got from them, and to these ears, the best studio work of their early classic material.  1000 Days in Sodom, Witching Hour, Welcome To Hell, In League With Satan-- hell (no pun intended), great Venom songs just reel off this one.

When I first got it, I was sure that their shtick was real, though I learned a couple years later that it wasn't, but that didn't matter to me, as I picked this up in 1985 at the height of looking for the most evil/metal looking albums around, so this fit right in with my pick-up of Pile Driver's "Metal Inquisition".

I know many prefer Black Metal, and hell, I'd actually take "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" if I was including live albums in determining my favorite from them...but I'm not today.

WELCOME TO HELL! beerbang

And the newer cover:

1. Sons of Satan
2. Welcome to Hell
3. Schitzo
4. Mayhem With Mercy
5. Poison
6. Live Like an Angel, Die Like a Devil
7. Witching Hour
8. 1000 Days in Sodom
9. Angel Dust
10. In League With Satan
11. Red Light Fever
12. In Nomine Satanas
13. Burstin' Out
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:13:41 PM by zekeyou » Logged

Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »

Great album!!!!!  While I do prefer Black Metal by a hair over this one, I love both.  Great choice!!! 

hey Zeke, could you out the tracklisting and the cover art in your original post?  THANKS!!  bowdown

Welcome to My HELL
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »

Great album!!!!!  While I do prefer Black Metal by a hair over this one, I love both.  Great choice!!! 

hey Zeke, could you out the tracklisting and the cover art in your original post?  THANKS!!  bowdown

You didn't get the memo? 

I WON'T FOLLOW YOUR RULES
NONCONFORMITY IN MY INNER SELF
ONLY I GUIDE MY INNER SELF

Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

You didn't get the memo? 

I WON'T FOLLOW YOUR RULES
NONCONFORMITY IN MY INNER SELF
ONLY I GUIDE MY INNER SELF
Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant quite being a little B|tch and just do it! lol

Welcome to My HELL
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

Eww, no thanks.

I've heard this and it's terrible.  I guess I don't "get" Venom even though I'm not sure there's much to get.

Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »

Eww, no thanks.

I've heard this and it's terrible.  I guess I don't "get" Venom even though I'm not sure there's much to get.

Rant Rant Rant Watch your step K-Dude....don;t bag on my favorite band dude  kickballs

Welcome to My HELL
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:23:16 PM »

Eww, no thanks.

Rant Rant Rant Watch your step K-Dude....don;t bag on my favorite band dude  kickballs

I didn't bag on them, I just said I didn;t like them.

I can bag on them if you want.  Up To Something
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 03:26:09 PM »

Eww, no thanks.

actually you said and I will quote you:
Eww, no thanks.

that's bagging on a band dude which happens to be my favorite band....

Welcome to My HELL
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »

Klsch:

Do you like this cover?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKAOj49xscw

Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »

Eww, no thanks.

actually you said and I will quote you:
Eww, no thanks.

that's bagging on a band dude which happens to be my favorite band....

Ok, lightly bagging I guess.

Carry on, I'm stepping out of this one.  thumb
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »

I'll only ever have a mild interest in this band.  When I first came across their albums, they scared the shit out of me.  They were too intense looking for me at the time (I was into Scorpions, Accept, Maiden, Priest etc.).  Once I got past the image a few years down the line I picked up At War With Satan and most other bands at the time had far surpassed them in terms of talent, songwriting, image etc. so it was more of a disappointment than anything.  I like a few songs from them but I wouldn't call them a favorite of mine.  I appreciate their influence but they always came across more like Kiss than anything legitimate. (kiss is another band I missed the boat with and by doing so, never understood the appeal).
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »

I'll only ever have a mild interest in this band.  When I first came across their albums, they scared the shit out of me.  They were too intense looking for me at the time (I was into Scorpions, Accept, Maiden, Priest etc.).  Once I got past the image a few years down the line I picked up At War With Satan and most other bands at the time had far surpassed them in terms of talent, songwriting, image etc. so it was more of a disappointment than anything.  I like a few songs from them but I wouldn't call them a favorite of mine.  I appreciate their influence but they always came across more like Kiss than anything legitimate. (kiss is another band I missed the boat with and by doing so, never understood the appeal).
At War With Satan is the wrong album to start off with the band.  Welcome to Hell and Black Metal are far easier listens. 

Welcome to My HELL
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

True Classic!

Back in 82 this was by far the most extreme metal band!  abbath

Hellboy One Thousand Days Of Sodom is still to this day my fave Venom song, closely followed by In League With Satan
anti nowhere punk
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:29:33 AM »

Black metal beats the shit out of this, but its good!  Especially as it was only a demo, but neat records demanded it was released as an album!

Boring...
Dr. Heathen Scum
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »

Classic. The album that spawned all BM. Love it  evil2
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.