January 22, 2019, 12:51:05 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Starting over  (Read 4387 times)
Claymore
Metalhead

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:05:32 PM »

My kit is in pieces, as I'm working on my basement. While everything is apart, I've decided to focus on rudiments (which I never really learned) and playing just a snare. The twist is that I'm no longer playing with a matched grip. Just trying to shake up my brain a bit. I'm combining this new approach and the arrival of a sweet new snare to jumpstart my interest in playing again. I'm in a bit of a rut in general, and I'd like to be passionate about my music again.

Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »

New toys always help in the short term but then you end up falling into the same rut you were in before..... you just have nicer equipment to get discouraged with.  lol

I know where you're coming from though.  We're in the same boat.  My tastes in music are always changing these days and my playing has suffered from it.  One day I want to play full-on metal and the next day I'd love to do something acoustically with a few friends.  What about checking craigslist in your area to see if there is anyone looking to just jam?  Something casual that's just outside of your comfort range (rock, blues, fusion, etc) but still well within your ability range might be enough to create the spark again.  I know you don't have much time to play but pulling in an outside influence can really jump start your playing again.
A windmill full of corpses.
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »

Dudes, I'm in 2 bands and I'm in a rut.  lol

Of course, neither band practices...like....ever.  Unless we have a show, but that's like....once a year at this point.  lol

And it would help if I had a guitar amp at home.  It's no fun playing an expensive Jackson Rhoads acoustcially. lol

And it would help if I didn't have to drive over 30 miles to play my drum kit which is full of awesome expensive stuff.  lol

Ugh...I gotta motivate myself.  lol devilbang
Claymore
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »

I've decided to include my bass drums in my new routine. So it'll be nothing but working on hand coordination/speed and foot speed for awhile. Won't be very entertaining to listen to, but hopefully it'll pay dividends.

Hope those dividends don't count under Twinkie's capital gains tax increase.  Up To Something

Pelata
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »

VIVA LA MUSICAL SCHIZOPHRENIA!!!

beerbang
A windmill full of corpses.
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »

Update:

My recent death metal craze has really inspired me to get serious about drumming again.  I'm even going to be spending a bit of cash on some new cymbals soon. 

Oddly enough, even though I had only practiced/played a handful of times in '08, I really wasn't all that horrible once I got back behind the kit.  Sure, my stamina for the faster stuff isn't anywhere near where it should be, but aside from that, not bad at all.  I'm quite looking forward to getting myself back into extreme metal drumming shape (both physically and mentally)!

As for guitar, that's going strong too.  Now that my band is back into writing mode, all is well. 
Pelata
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:30 AM »

Congrats and good luck!!  devilbang
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 19 queries.