January 21, 2019, 06:56:23 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Classic Band of the Day...  (Read 13807 times)
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:56 AM »

The mighty, heavy, and definitely metal FU MANCHU.

I've been a fan since the mid-late 90's, and really grew to dig their mid-career output-- "The Action is Go" and "King of the Road"-- to me, those albums are the pinnacles and most-required listening of their (still-going) career.  This band, much like the Ramones, instantly puts a smile on my face-- and there's really no other band that makes me feel like summer and cold-beer drinking...

They definitely put on a great show-- I've been lucky to have seen them in '97, '99, '00, and '07, and have always been impressed at how crushing they come across live.   Their pedigree also includes Nebula and Kyuss and one of their former drummers has put out some decent solo stuff,  but I prefer Fu to those bands.

Mandatory FU:

Evil Eye (video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9x1T287xOk

Pigeon Toe (live):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp1uyZjwWew

King of the Road (live):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdPDp6xiSQ

beerbang

moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »

I've never heard a note,,,,,so I'm off to youtube,,,,, Cool
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »

never heard a thing by them... Zeke FAILS

Welcome to My HELL
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »

never heard a thing by them...

So that would mean someone else fails...

Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

No just means obviously the band has not done anything worth my time yet...

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »

Never got into these guys for some reason.  For this style of music, I usually go to Karma To Burn or Kyuss.  This is pretty cool too judging from the samples but probably not something I'd listen to much outside of the 2 bands I listed.  I looked at my CD list because I could have sworn I had something from them but nothing is listed.  Maybe I'm thinking of Orange Goblin?  Anyway, I can see how these guys would be perfect summer music.
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »

Without "hearing a thing"?

17+ years
9 full length albums
numerous EPs and 7'' singles and a double-live album
incessant US touring

Sounds a wee bit more classic than Icon... lol

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:44:32 AM by zekeyou » Logged

moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

I really like what I've heard on YouTube,,,,,I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some Fu Manchu next time I hit the CD store,,,,, Cool
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »

17+ years
9 full length albums
incessant US touring

Sorry....I have heard but don;t OWN...Better Up To Something

Welcome to My HELL
Lord Vinyl Pillager
Metalhead

Give me your vinyl...or die, peasant!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

I like those albums from the band too, Zeke -- the rest is hit an miss. Great live band!

I love vinyl so much! Oh yes I do! *giggle*
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »

17+ years
9 full length albums
incessant US touring

Having been out for 17+ years and having 9 albums does not make one have a CLassic Album of the Day, Zeke.  Shame on you for not understanding that.  Icon's debut album was a very good album "back in the day".  You missed out on it and now it wouldn;t make an impression on you because your ears have had 25 years of much harder metal to listen too.  But back in those days it was a different story.  Sorry you missed out then. 

Welcome to My HELL
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »

17+ years
9 full length albums
incessant US touring

Having been out for 17+ years and having 9 albums does not make one have a CLassic Album of the Day, Zeke.  Shame on you for not understanding that.  Icon's debut album was a very good album "back in the day".  You missed out on it and now it wouldn;t make an impression on you because your ears have had 25 years of much harder metal to listen too.  But back in those days it was a different story.  Sorry you missed out then. 
YOU NEED TO REREAD THE THREAD TITLE!  This isn't a "Classic Album" thread,,,,,it's a "Classic Band" thread,,,,, nono
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:46:10 PM »

Yea, I gotta jump in here too.  Just because you haven't listened to these guys doesn't make them exempt from "classic" status.  A classic to you might not be a classic to me...... Icon for example...... but if that was a landmark album for you for any number of reasons, then who am I to question it?  Same goes for this.  I really hate to say it but your response sounded way too much like a lot of the shit that's going on over on the BB where opinion = fact.
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »

Yea, I gotta jump in here too.  Just because you haven't listened to these guys doesn't make them exempt from "classic" status.  A classic to you might not be a classic to me...... Icon for example...... but if that was a landmark album for you for any number of reasons, then who am I to question it?  Same goes for this.  I really hate to say it but your response sounded way too much like a lot of the shit that's going on over on the BB where opinion = fact.
So Brian, when you guys give YOUR opinion on an album that it is not classic to you that's fine...But I am not inclined to give mine on a band I don;t feel is classic???  Roll Eyes one word...WOW!

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »

Maybe I'm just reading it other than what was intended but saying "Having been out for 17+ years and having 9 albums does not make one have a CLassic Album of the Day, Zeke.  Shame on you for not understanding that."...... that comes across as you telling him that it is not a classic by anyones standard.  You came across like you were pointing out fact rather than sharing an opinion.

Just sounded a little arrogant to me.  *shrugs*

Again, some things don't translate well on a messageboard so I might have read that wrong. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 19 queries.