January 22, 2019, 12:32:06 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Anathema-- Protag and other fanatics  (Read 7802 times)
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

Enlighten me.  I have that Pentecost III & The Crestafllen comp and am pretty ho-hum about it, but I just picked up Weather Systems on a whim and fuckin' love it.

Break down their eras for me so I can delve further...

Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »

Haven't heard the new one, but the only ones I keep going back to are The Silent Enigma and Eternity
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »

We're Here Because We're Here is GREAT if you really liked Weather Systems

Welcome to My HELL
Firefarter
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »

i think the new one sounds closest to Eternity than any other.i'd say pick up that one,Alternative 4 is also similar.all 3 are pretty "rocking" as far as Anathema goes.

everything else post-Eternity is very mellow but insanely good(Judgement is my fave,one of the greatest works in music history as far as i'm concerned)

the pre-Eternity material was some of the best Death-Doom stuff recorded this side of Paradise Lost's Gothic and early My Dying Bride.
Bleak
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:04 AM »

A Fine Day To Exit, A Natural Disaster, and Weather Systems, (yes already), are probably three of my favourite albums of all time.

Speaking of this type of music, any fans of The Foreshadowing here? Excellent Italian band reminiscent of My Dying Bride, Anathema etc... with a hint of Green Carnation, (mostly the vocals). Their new album called Second world just came out and it's pretty awesome.
The Protagonist
Metal God

Metallus Maximus God # VII

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »

Not much to say here except Venom is right about We're Here Because We're Here, FF is right about just about everything & Bleak needs to listen to more Anathema especially Judgement.  lol

Zeke there is a huge shift in vocal styles once Vincent Cavanagh took over the mike from the departing Darren White & especially after The Silent Enigma when he went to clean vocals exclusively & then another shift once Lee Douglas started singing with them. Find it odd though that there is no mention of Serenades here at all cause I love that album.

The white ship has sailed and left me here again Out in the mist, I was so near again
Sailing on the sea of dreams How far away it seems 
Sailing upon the white ship
The Protagonist
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »

Speaking of this type of music, any fans of The Foreshadowing here? Excellent Italian band reminiscent of My Dying Bride, Anathema etc... with a hint of Green Carnation, (mostly the vocals). Their new album called Second world just came out and it's pretty awesome.

I have The Foreshadowing's first album & find it underwhelming. How much better is Second World then the first one?

The white ship has sailed and left me here again Out in the mist, I was so near again
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

Protagonist, since I'd rather hear it from you than M-A, can you tell me when the current shift (which album) occurred, and what 3 you would consider mandatory?

The Protagonist
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »

Protagonist, since I'd rather hear it from you than M-A, can you tell me when the current shift (which album) occurred, and what 3 you would consider mandatory?

Vincent became the main vocalist on The Silent Enigma but tried to sing in a more growling style. The next album, Eternity, is where he started using clean vox. The next 3 albums, Alternative 4, Judgement & A Fine Day To Exit are the albums that reflect a disillusion with life stemming from the death of Vincent & Danny's mom (We're Here Because We're Here is when they finally find acceptance & understanding of mortality & the inevitability of death but with a spiritual sense that there is more than just this mortal coil.). There is also a recurring cover theme from albums Judgement thru We're Here Because We're Here which would be the presence of bodies of water even to the point where A Natural Disaster's cover is a man in a row boat on a dried up river bed.

The genesis of the current shift in style probably begin when Lee Douglas started contributing vocals though she didn't get a song that featured her as the lead until the title song of A Natural Disaster. The thing I also think is pretty cool is the current lineup which consists of 3 Cavanagh brothers, Vincent, Danny & Jamie (Vincent & Jamie are twins btw) & a brother & sister, John & Lee Douglas.

Mandatory albums are difficult for an Anathema freak like me but I would have to go with Judgement, We're Here Because We're Here & Weather Systems. Though it has some great songs on it (Closer, A Natural Disaster, Pulled Under At 2000 Metres A Second & Are You There?) to me A Natural Disaster is their most uneven album. I think the metalheads backlash against Anathema & the accusations of becoming too Radioheadish really started with A Fine Day To Exit but I really like that album a lot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:42:37 PM by Protag » Logged

Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »

Not much to say here except Venom is right about We're Here Because We're Here, FF is right about just about everything & Bleak needs to listen to more Anathema especially Judgement.  lol
bowdown bowdown bowdown

Welcome to My HELL
Bleak
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »

I have The Foreshadowing's first album & find it underwhelming. How much better is Second World then the first one?

Don't know - haven't heard the first one, lol.
Bleak
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »

Hey I have them all and to be honest there really isn't a single bad Anathema album. I do think that Weather Systems crushes We're Here Because We're Here in every possible way though, (despite the fact they are very similar).
The Protagonist
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

Don't know - haven't heard the first one, lol.

If you ever hear it you may understand my hesitation to purchase subsequent releases by them.

The Protagonist
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

I do think that Weather Systems crushes We're Here Because We're Here in every possible way though, (despite the fact they are very similar).

I find they are pretty evenly matched & I think that the revelation that we are more than just a moment in time might just give We're Here Because We're Here the edge at least in Anathema's history if for no other reason.

zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »

finally ordered We're Here Because We're Here...

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.