December 09, 2018, 04:33:06 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Classic Album of the day: 10/7/08: JOURNEY - ESC4P3  (Read 4566 times)
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »

For me, the album (in this case, 8 track) that let me know there were 'heavier' things in life was this multiplatinum gem:

Prior to hearing/buying this album, my record collection consisted of Blondie, Air Supply, The Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul and Mary, and Johnny Cash.  Thanks to an older friend, I also was familiar with a couple KISS, Loverboy and AC/DC songs, but hadn't really owned any rock.  Hell, I was still kind of scared of KISS-- I remember them always being the banned band whenever we had record day at school...

Anyhow, I remember hearing "Open Arms" on the radio all the time and was hooked on that song, so when my mom gave me $6 or $7 and told me I could go pick out an album, I biked my way down to White Drug and went straight for this album.  Little did I know that Open Arms was the ballad on the record and the rest of it was a lot more guitar-heavy.

Anyhow, I got back home and my parents and brother were getting ready to eat supper out on our back porch-- I quickly ran downstairs and popped the 8 track into our beastly Soundesign Discotek:

About 30 seconds into "Don't Stop Believin'", something clicked and I was transfixed.  I cranked the volume higher and higher, until my parent's cries to "Turn it down" and "Come to supper" were drowned out.  After the song, I remember heading upstairs and outside, and I remember my older brother saying something to the effect of "Man, that was heavy" and my parents just shaking their heads. 

This album opened the door for me-- Nazareth, Priest, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue-- all followed over the next year or so, as I began searching for the next heavier thing...

So, appreciate this album (btw, my favorite song is still probably a 3 way tie between Don't Stop, Still They Ride, or Mother, Father...) or share your gateway to metal album...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:50:57 AM by Hellboy » Logged

Claymore
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »

Great, great album. So - much appreciated! beerbang

I had been turned on to Journey in '78 by my youngest aunt's boyfriend at the time, with Infinity.
1978 was an amazing year for me, musically. Sabbath, AC/DC, Journey, Van Halen...
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

I declare a world's first,,,,,Journey was just referred to as "heavy",,,,, lol lol lol

I absolutely love old Journey. cheers

And the Soundesign Discotek is tr00 kvlt,,,,, abbath
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »

I declare a world's first,,,,,Journey was just referred to as "heavy",,,,, lol lol lol

:lol:Yeah, at the time, I really thought it was.  My brother and I took different paths-- he went towards The Fixx, The Police, Culture Club, etc, so this was definitely heavy in his mind...

Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »

I love this album.
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:45 AM »

LOVE this album!! My favorite Journey album from beginning to end!!!!

Welcome to My HELL
The Protagonist
Metal God

Metallus Maximus God # VII

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »

Gateway bands for me were Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Blue Cheer & Savage Resurrection. I've never owned an album by Journey in my life, just didn't do it for me even when they were predominantly instrumental.

The white ship has sailed and left me here again Out in the mist, I was so near again
Sailing on the sea of dreams How far away it seems 
Sailing upon the white ship
Fatal if swallowed
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

Heh, Journey was one of those 'guilty pleasure' bands I liked but never really got into until I was a bit more 'mature (haha, yeah right)'. I bought that disc used about 15 years ago and have liked it ever since. Only album of theirs I own though.
anti nowhere punk
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »

LOVE journey!

But I have to ask, what the hell is an 8 track? Ive heard of them but never actually seen one or the player for them?

Boring...
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:20:37 AM »

But I have to ask, what the hell is an 8 track? Ive heard of them but never actually seen one or the player for them?

http://forums.metallusmaximus.com/index.php/topic,304.0.html

mak28
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »

I've always enjoyed Journey's material from a distance.  I like some of those big hits but never got into the albums I've heard.  I really enjoyed their live release, Captured when I had it.  I wish I hadn't sold that off.  Their drummer back then was great.  Loved his drum solo on that release.

On another note, was the thread title supposed to be a pun or was that accidental?  If it was intentional and you continue with that theme I suggest the next thread be Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak."  lol
Pelata
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

GREATEST AOR ALBUM EVER!!!!!!!!!
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »

understatement!! beerbang

Welcome to My HELL
ALF
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »

The first Asia and Boston's ST might be better but excellent Cd none the less.
zekeyou
Metal God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »

I spun this album yesterday and today amidst 4 spins of Steve Perry's return from the dead album "Traces."  Ok, "Live in Houston 1981", "Frontiers," and "Captured" too...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 19 queries.