January 22, 2019, 12:53:21 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hey AI or Shamu.........  (Read 5284 times)
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »

Any suggestions on a small bass amp?  Right now I'm using an Ampeg BA112 combo and I LOVE the tone.  Problem is that it starts to "fart" and breakup when I'm jamming with other people.  It's 50 watts and a single 12" speaker so it only makes sense.  I'm wondering if trading it up to the BA115 (100 watts, 15" speaker and an addition tweeter) is worth it? 

I love the tone of Ampeg and still need something small and portable.  I'm mostly a guitar player so I'm not looking for anything too expensive and this is just a hobby.  Mostly playing with friends in basements.  I'm not sure I even "need" to move up but I'd like to see what else is in that same range that might have more headroom and clarity.

Any suggestions?
Yambag
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »

(it's snamu)   Buck Teeth

Anyway, what's your budget?  The 15" combo they make is pretty good, same preamp, more powerful power amp (I think) and, obviously, the 15" speaker.  If you like Ampeg, there you go.  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 15" combos, as I've never found the tone to be to my liking.

I'd check out some 2x10" combos that are out there.  I have one by Nemesis (David Eden's "affordable" line) that absolutely rules, but it's pricey.  Ampeg makes one too if you prefer to stick with them.  Pretty much everyone makes a version now.  Don't let the 10" fool you - they are plenty strong and if the amp isn't total crap, has plenty of low end.

Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »

lol  Oops.  I always read it as Shamu. 

I was thinking under $300.  Kids stuff.  I honestly don't play enough to justify anything above that price range.  I play with a drummer and guitarist 2 days a week but it's just for fun.  Everything I've heard from Eden has been incredible but I'm playing with a used Squire P-Bass that I got for 85 bucks and slapped a set of Duncan Quarter Pounds in there so we're not talking pristine tone.  lol

The Ampeg I have is fine for home and the guitar player has another bass amp there that I can use so who knows?

Thanks for helping  cheers
Yambag
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

lol

In that case the Ampeg 15" combo will do you nicely.  It's under $400 new, so I'd imagine you could find a used one real cheap.

Snamu
Metal King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »

I'm partial to Hartke myself but I don't know if they're widely available near you.  I have a 15" 120 watt combo for a practice amp that's always been more than enough.  I've even used it live in "emergency situations" lol.

hehe - for reference:
SNAFU - Situation normal, all fucked up
SNAMU - Situation normal, all monkeyed up

Just a running inside joke, mainly b/c I loathe monkeys.   eviltongue
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 15" combos, as I've never found the tone to be to my liking.
My quest continues......

I picked up an Ampeg BA-115 last night on craigslist but it's going back tonight because when I hit the e-string while muted, it give off a clicking sound instead of a big thump (I play with a pick..... damned guitarists!!).  I had the same problem with the BA-112 so I'm thinking it might be a problem with that Ampeg line.  The small cabinet.  I tried using my friends Crate 1-15" and it didn't do it but the tone was still a little mushy.

So what is the benefit of a 2-10 combo as opposed to something with a 1-15"?  Is the tone tighter and more defined? 

I'm think I'm going to take a look at the G-K Micro series (powerful, affordable AND lightweight.... which is a HUGE bonus).  Nobody sells the Nemesis line around here.  Also, what do you know about the Genz Benz Shuttle series?  The size is obviously the big attraction for me with these.  Same with the Mark Bass micro combos.  It's hard to believe you can get a big thumping sound out of such a small package. 

Snamu
Metal King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »

From what I've heard the newer GK stuff isn't very reliable, so I would stay away from it.  I know several people who've bought them brand new and had lousy experiences.

I almost bought a Mark Bass micro combo but I didn't like the noise floor...it was hissing even with a passive bass.  That may have been the particular ones I tried though, since lots of people seem to like them. 

A 2x10 is tighter.  For a long time I wasn't happy w/ 10s but I picked up a 4x10 cab and I like it more than any of the 15s I've had in the past.  It pushes out the same low thump but is much more defined.

I had an 18 once...ahh, sweet undefined rumble  _drool

I play with a pick too - be proud.   Cool
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »

Thanks!!!   cheers

I guess what I really want is an amp the size of an iPOD that sounds like an 8x10 cabinet.  lol 
Yambag
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »

lol

10" speakers obviously give you a ton more tone, and if ported properly a 2x10 can provide a lot of low end.  I'm constantly amazed at how much bass mine sounds.

I've had the same issues with GK stuff - they sound great but are terribly unreliable.  However, I haven't tried anything new from them in years, so I don't know if this is still true.  I played a show once where another bassist had one of their 2x10 combos and loved it.  Hearing my Nemesis convinced him to upgrade, but he definitely liked the GK for the money.

I've heard good things about Markbass, and have heard a few sound good live, but are you talking about the 6" Micro?  That's way too small for anything other than practicing.

I'm not a big Genz Benz fan, I've found them to be cheap and kind of crappy.

Check out the talkbass forums.  There's an ocean of awesome info there.

Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »

Thanks!!!!

I've been looking at the talkbass forums for a while now and that's where I read the good reviews of the GK MB210.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 19 queries.