January 21, 2019, 07:20:57 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Highly regarded albums you just don't get?  (Read 19540 times)
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

Anything by Agalloch.
I can understand that,,,,,I don't personally agree,,,,,but I can understand it,,,,,
MetalShock
Metal King

There is only ONE Nation, the Raider Nation!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 04:38:18 PM »

Answer:

See this thread http://forums.metallusmaximus.com/index.php/topic,184.0.html

I love all the albums up to 1981.  After that  eviltongue  Have seen them a ton in concert when they rocked and they were great.  Saw them a couple years ago, the crowd seemed bored until they played YYZ.... then all of a sudden the crowd is like  shred  Then they start playing newer stuff again and te crowd is like  sleep

SMOKED OUT
You will make it up to me, you will make amends.  We will not be family, and we can not be friends.
The Protagonist
Metal God

Metallus Maximus God # VII

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »

I'm not touching this one!  No

The white ship has sailed and left me here again Out in the mist, I was so near again
Sailing on the sea of dreams How far away it seems 
Sailing upon the white ship
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »

This will come as no suprise..

Megadeth - Rust in peace.  How can this be regarded as one of the best thrash albums ever when it just isnt thrash, its far too cotton wool and feathers to be thrash.. Its a total sell out and I dont get how metal heads can regard such a obvious attempt to go mainstream as a classic??

How was this even attempting to be mainstream?  They went for almost a prog sound on this, and last I checked, that wasn't very popular.
EH scratch Rust in Peace=Prog??  What the hell have you been smoking Liam?? RIP is Thrash thru and thru....

Welcome to My HELL
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 11:27:36 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

I thought it was a turd back in the day, and still thinks it stinks today...  eviltongue
anti nowhere punk
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:40 AM »

Megadeth - Rust in peace.  How can this be regarded as one of the best thrash albums ever when it just isnt thrash, its far too cotton wool and feathers to be thrash.. Its a total sell out and I dont get how metal heads can regard such a obvious attempt to go mainstream as a classic??

How was this even attempting to be mainstream?  They went for almost a prog sound on this, and last I checked, that wasn't very popular.
EH scratch Rust in Peace=Prog??  What the hell have you been smoking Liam?? RIP is Thrash thru and thru....

Ur both wrong its power metal if anything but I wouldnt even compliment it with that label!  Its a thrash band totally losing there edge and going completely soft!

Boring...
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 05:58:36 AM »

Anything by Agalloch.

Good call.  I enjoy their first two albums but I really have to be in the right mood to listen to them.  And I'm hardly ever in that kind of mood.

Their last album was just boring beyond belief.
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »

GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

I thought it was a turd back in the day, and still thinks it stinks today...  eviltongue
only great album by the band.  Use your Illusion 1 & 2 are bloated albums that I would love to trim off the excessive fat and make into a single album. Of course, most of the "singles" would be left off like November Rain puke

Welcome to My HELL
nvmbrsdoom5
Metalhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »

I think "Use Your Illusion" 1 & 2 would be good candidates.  I still see and hear alot of praise for these records, and overall I just feel like it's a band being pulled in too many directions, and the raw edgey vibe of their debut is completely replaced with this over the top production and phony angst.  They started out being full of piss and vinegar, and wound up being full of Perrier.  I don't begrudge people their tastes and loves but I just never could understand how critics and fans alike praised them so highly.

And sorry Venom, as much as I too love the band and have for years, Abaddon was a fuckin' mess, LOL.  I'll take his band's music over Poison any day of the week, but Rikki is a much better overall drummer.  However, keeping in mind the fact that Abaddon's playing and energy inspired some of the best drummers to come along in later years in thrash/death metal, you cannot diminish the man's influence he had.

As for "Rust In Peace", I think what appealed to me so much about it, was that the song structuring was definitely more catchy and had more of a melodic hook to it, but at the same time, the technicality of the riffing and drumming was kicked up a notch as well.  They managed to make an album that was commercially appealing to a more widespread audience, while at the same time not forsaking technicality, and there's still a fair amount of aggression there too.  It ain't exactly like they became Firehouse, haha. 
ecwfan666
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »

Ur both wrong its power metal if anything but I wouldnt even compliment it with that label!  Its a thrash band totally losing there edge and going completely soft!
Sure it's thrash, but there's prog elements in it for sure.  Listen to it again! lol
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

Sure it's thrash, but there's prog elements in it for sure.  Listen to it again! lol
it's one of my favorite albums and i have listened to it a thousand times, I have never heard prog in it. No

Welcome to My HELL
anti nowhere punk
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »

It aint thrash and I aint listening to it again I loathe that album! I did try again years after first hearing it but to this day the only track I like is hangar 18

Boring...
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

It aint thrash and I aint listening to it again I loathe that album! I did try again years after first hearing it but to this day the only track I like is hangar 18
you and ECW are like the only 2 who say it is not thrash lol lol lol

Welcome to My HELL
anti nowhere punk
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »

A lot of my friends totally agree with me, its too fuckin soft to be thrash, its all guitar wanking poseuring!! Its power metal in its loosest terms!

Boring...
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »

I'm not a fan of any Megadeath but this album is clearly thrash to me.  Heathen was pretty soft in comparison to the other thrash bands at the time and they are always considered a thrash band.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.