January 22, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recording equip/software  (Read 3887 times)
Carl Wood
MM Staff
Metal King

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

I know nothing about recording/engineering and was wondering if anyone here can offer me some advice about what I should invest in?

What I'd like to do:

- Record and edit guitar tracks
- Add effects
- Add and edit additional tracks (bass, drums, vocals, etc.)

Budget: less than $700CAN
Hardware: PC

Thanks for the help.  I was looking at some gear yesterday, but it's quite expensive, and I want to make a somewhat informed choice.

~ one-hundred percent metal ~
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

I use a Mac so I can't be of much help but you'll need an decent interface to convert the guitar signal to digital (you might be able to use a standard audio card but the quality will be lower).  Crap in = crap out. 

As far as software, I've heard good things about Reaper which is a free digital audio workstation.

Sorry for not being able to help more.  I know a lot about the Mac side of things but nothing about recording on a PC.
eaeolian
Metalhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »

Reaper isn't really free, but it *is* cheap - and the demo isn't crippled and doesn't expire, it just nags.

We did the last Division album with it, and it's as full-featured as anything on the market.

As for PC interface, there's several quality interfaces in the $3-400 range now. I use a PreSounus Firepod (now FP-10), which is probably overkill for you, but you can get the Firebox for about $170, and it has the same preamps, just fewer of them.

Division - Now with more old members!
Carl Wood
MM Staff
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

One more reason to purchase a Mac...

OK, so looks like before I consider what software I'm going to use, I'm going to have to think about what interface I'd like to use.  Makes sense.

As for the "crap in = crap out" philosophy; I completely agree.  Granted I'm not running a studio here, but I do want a setup of moderate quality.

Let me check out Reaper, and the interfaces mentioned...

~ one-hundred percent metal ~
Balls

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »

Try to find some used gear.

I would suggest looking into the Digidesign Digi002, it's an older model so you can find it for 500-600$ instead of $2000.... It also includes the full version of Pro-Tools, which is to me the best recording software out there.

Other than that you can look into some of the higher end M-AUDIO rackmounts.. good stuff in there
Snamu
Metal King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

A lot of interfaces now come with "basic" versions of recording software.  If all you're doing is recording and editing a (relatively) small number of audio tracks, you'll very likely be good to go.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.