January 18, 2019, 09:24:47 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Album of the Day, 10/7/09 : Black 'n Blue  (Read 20644 times)
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »

For me it had more to do with the reasons I dislike a lot of popular music...... where image is almost more important than the actual music.  There are a handful of hair bands that wrote great songs...... but behind them there were countless bands that had absolutely nothing more to offer than taking a good picture.  They were there to look good, party and to get laid..... music was simply a vehicle to do so.  And with that, I couldn't take the majority of the scene seriously.  With thrash, the music was the reason they played and image wasn't even a part of it (ironically, their no-image actually became an image).
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

It's not that V...it's just the music was just wayyyyy too cookie cutter frilly stuff for Release and I. 

I just couldn't flat out listen to it.  It had no oomph to it at all.
how would you know until you ACTUALLY listened to it??? Not all the bands AT THAT TIME were like that.  Now admittedly, haribands sound got really watered down in the years to come but not in 1984 when Black 'n Blue released their debut album. and you guys, I am looking at you Release and Zekeyou, say I am narrow minded at times about my musically tastes Roll Eyes

Welcome to My HELL
Dr. Heathen Scum
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »

"Ride the Lightning" led me away from pop-metal, but i found my way back big time. I know embrace metal in all it's varities (probably why I feel no need for other types of music).

This albums rocks  nana
Dr. Heathen Scum
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »

It was then I found out she was from Long Island. lol roll

First-then she should be an Islanders fan, secondly-where on the isalnd (The Dr. was raised on the Island as well)  scratch
Metal_King
Metal God

Maximus Tankardus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »

how would you know until you ACTUALLY listened to it??? Not all the bands AT THAT TIME were like that.  Now admittedly, haribands sound got really watered down in the years to come but not in 1984 when Black 'n Blue released their debut album. and you guys, I am looking at you Release and Zekeyou, say I am narrow minded at times about my musically tastes Roll Eyes

Stan, we had Headbanger's Ball to get a taste of the music and thsoe bands.  Yes, I've heard most of them.  No, I have not heard every song.  But, I do remember those videos from MTV and the songs just aren't that good.

And when Warrant put out Cherry Pie, it made a mockery of itself.  To me, it was crappy, schleppy music.

Still waiting for my new life to begin......
Metal_King
Metal God

Maximus Tankardus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »

First-then she should be an Islanders fan, secondly-where on the isalnd (The Dr. was raised on the Island as well)  scratch

She grew up in Baldwin, and she does have an Islanders jersey also.   police

Still waiting for my new life to begin......
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »

I've typed out 3 different responses to this so far and hit cancel all 3 times just to keep this board all happy and nice.
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »

Oh, I heard plenty of it and definitely owned some of it-- I'm a coupla years younger than you folks, grew up in ND which was very limited as far as exposure goes to music-- it was basically word of mouth/early MTV/pre-MTV or stuff like Faces, Hit Parader, or Circus Magazine initially-- so the visual element often preceded actually hearing a band.  Also, given that my friends and I were about 11-12 when Shout at the Devil, etc got released, we had very limited financial resources available-- whatever was purchased made the rounds, and judgment was made.  Some of us branched off to heavier things, others stayed more rooted in this style of music.

I do know that I had a "dub" of this album, and also received a promo mini-vinyl of "Without Love" when that came out.

Dr. Heathen Scum
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »

Venom is right, pre-'Home sweet home' hair metal was much harder hitting then what followed.
After that song it got terribly watered down and the Warrants' and Poisons' took over but damn in the early 80s till around 1985 there was some vital stuff coming out-
TKO
Black N Blue
Y&T
of course early-Ratt, Dokken and Crue, etc....... police
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »

Y&T

All releases I enjoyed immensely, and replaced cassettes with cds over the years.

Although that Ratt ep was quite overpriced on disc the last time I looked...

Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »

Venom is right, pre-'Home sweet home' hair metal was much harder hitting then what followed.
After that song it got terribly watered down and the Warrants' and Poisons' took over but damn in the early 80s till around 1985 there was some vital stuff coming out-
TKO
Black N Blue
Y&T
Oh absolutely.  Just like any genre that gets popular and watered down, the original artists are always the best and stood apart from the utter tripe that followed.
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »

Stan, we had Headbanger's Ball to get a taste of the music and thsoe bands.  Yes, I've heard most of them.  No, I have not heard every song.  But, I do remember those videos from MTV and the songs just aren't that good.

And when Warrant put out Cherry Pie, it made a mockery of itself.  To me, it was crappy, schleppy music.
but you are quoting an album that came out in 1990 and that is what I am referring to when I said the genre has long whored itself out by then....But NOT in 1984.  Headbanger's Ball was not on MTV in 1984 banghead

Welcome to My HELL
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »

TKO
Black N Blue
Y&T
thank you, at least one of you gets it!!!  bowdown bowdown and for the record I blame Bon Jovi

Welcome to My HELL
Dr. Heathen Scum
Metal King

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »

yeah, he certainly had a l.ot to do with it as well  eek
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »

yeah, he certainly had a l.ot to do with it as well  eek
Slippery When Wet was the death of hairbands

Welcome to My HELL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 19 queries.