January 21, 2019, 06:57:53 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Classic Album of the Day 6/4/09: Steeler-Steeler  (Read 11937 times)
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

It has been too long since we had one of these threads, so I feel compelled to do one even if everyone will complain of the choice.  Wink
This 1983 release introduced the world to Yngwie Malmsteen on guitars and Ron Keel on vocals, both whom went on to much bigger fame with their own bands.  This was released on Shrapnel records (like pretty much every shredder record was in the 80's  lol). The real star on this album was Yngwie and his guitar playing. Of course, Ron and Yngwie did not get along longer than this one album. Ron left to start his own band Keel, and Yngwie joined Graham Bonnet for Alcatrazz. The really choice cuts on this album are Cold Day In Hell, Backseat Driver, Hot On Your Heels, On The Rox and Born To Rock. Anyone else remember and appreciate this album??? Thoughts....

Track Listing:

1. Cold Day In Hell
   2. Backseat Driver
   3. No Way Out
   4. Hot On Your Heels
   5. Abduction
   6. On The Rox
   7. Down To The Wire
   8. Born To Rock
   9. Serenade

Venom

Welcome to My HELL
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »

It's good, for what it is,,,,,and I still have the vinyl somewhere,,,,, Cool
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:09 AM »

I still have this on vinyl too.  I downloaded the MP3's a year or so ago and it hasn't held up well for me at all.  lol
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »

I still have this on vinyl too.  I downloaded the MP3's a year or so ago and it hasn't held up well for me at all.  lol
I knew you would be one of the first "haters"  lol Wink

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »

lol
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

Yeah,,,,,he won't like it, he hates everything,,,,, Up To Something
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »

Yeah,,,,,he won't like it, he hates everything,,,,, Up To Something
roll roll roll roll roll

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »

There are very few things that I actually "hate".  

In this case it's more about "I wonder if this was just as bad back then but I was just too young and excited about music to even notice?"  lol

Nah, I guess it's albums like this that become victims of the norm turning into horrible cliches that age these things.  I remember that guitar solo blowing me away when I first heard it.  I actually bought Yngwies first album because of this one along with a Keel album.  So I DID like it at one point.  Just time hasn't done any favors to it for me.  I don't have that nostalgic connection that I have to other albums from the same time that I can ignore the cliches and enjoy it for what it is.  I think a lot of those early metal albums are awful when you take away your personal connection to them. But with the memories attached, some of them are my favorite albums of all time.  No idea what I'm trying to say here!  lol
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »

In this case it's more about "I wonder if this was just as bad back then but I was just too young and excited about music to even notice?"  lol

Nah, I guess it's albums like this that become victims of the norm turning into horrible cliches that age these things.  I remember that guitar solo blowing me away when I first heard it.  I actually bought Yngwies first album because of this one along with a Keel album.  So I DID like it at one point.  Just time hasn't done any favors to it for me.  I don't have that nostalgic connection that I have to other albums from the same time that I can ignore the cliches and enjoy it for what it is.  I think a lot of those early metal albums are awful when you take away your personal connection to them. But with the memories attached, some of them are my favorite albums of all time.  No idea what I'm trying to say here!  lol
scratch scratch scratch

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »

This album might have held up better for me if it was more than 40 minutes of every early metal cliche in the book.  How's that?  lol
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »

This album might have held up better for me if it was more than 40 minutes of every early metal cliche in the book.  How's that?  lol
idea lol lol thumb

Welcome to My HELL
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:21 AM »

I ran this through the discombobulator filter and what Release said was, "Last weekend, I touched myself in an impure manner, and now my winkie hurts when I wee-wee."
Release
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »

I ran this through the discombobulator filter and what Release said was, "Last weekend, I touched myself in an impure manner, and now my winkie hurts when I wee-wee."

Thanks, I was debating whether or not to use the Cliff's Notes version that you just posted.  Silly me to try the long version.  nono
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

roll roll roll cryingeyesout roll roll roll oh my god that was beautiful!!

Welcome to My HELL
Pelata
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »

I know of it...but I've never heard it...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 19 queries.