January 21, 2019, 07:40:53 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Classic album of the Day 9/10/08: Testament-The Legacy  (Read 9159 times)
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

Maximus Supremus Postwhorus

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »

The Bay Area's Testament gave us another fantastic debut album with The Legacy!  This is one of my favorite thrash albums of the era.  From the begin with Over The Wall to the end with Apocalyptic City this is 39 minutes of pure thrash bliss. Chuck Billy vocals were in great form, Eric Peterson & Alex Skolnick thrashing back and forth on the guitars  shred !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracklisting:
1.   Over the Wall   04:07
2.   The Haunting   04:17
3.   Burnt Offerings   05:07   
4.   Raging Waters   04:32   
5.   C.O.T.L.O.D. (Curse of the Legions of Death)   02:32   
6.   First Strike Is Deadly   03:43   
7.   Do or Die   04:39   
8.   Alone in the Dark   04:05   
9.   Apocalyptic City   05:51
Total playing time   38:53

Alright Metalheads, give your thoughts on this metal classic!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:38:16 AM by Hellboy » Logged

Welcome to My HELL
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:48 AM »

This whole album is a classic and by FAR my favorite Testament album.
zekeyou
Metal God

I love Geoff Tate's 1 inch vertical ability.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56:11 AM »

Ok, easily one of my top 10 albums of all time...I borrowed this from a guy in school when it came out-- he seemed to have endless amounts of cash and picked up every album that came out-- I quickly followed suit and got it for myself.

Anyhow, I know this band and this album are frequently derided for being "Metallica clones", though I really don't hear it-- maybe a couple chugga-chugga's here and there on the live version of Apocalyptic City, but other than that, nope.  This album is one of those that doesn't have any filler (ok, maybe C.O.T.L.O.D. is close...) and is just one excellent stream from song to song, which is something I don't often hear these days.

Favorite song:  pretty much any from the bunch, except for the above-mentioned COTLOD and First Strike is Deadly.

moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »

Another stunning debut album!  I remember seeing the video for "Over The Wall" as my first exposure to Testament,,,,,went out and bought the album the next day,,,,,
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »

another tidbit on this album. I totaled my car on I-85 outside of Greenville, SC when a brown BMW pushed me off the highway into the grassy median because he was not paying attention and I rolled my car 5 or 6 times witnesses said and landed upside down. Any how....Like I said, I totaled my car.  When I got my new car, I had my previous car stereo installed in my new car and the very cassette played in my new car was Testament's "The Legacy"!!!!!!! devilbang devilbang devilbang

Welcome to My HELL
Klschmann
Metal God

Maidenus Beastus Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

One of my favorite albums of all time.

Alone in the Dark and Raging Waters are favorites, but the wholet thing rules!!   devilbang

I also think this is the quietest CD I own, I have to turn it up to like 17 to enjoy properly.
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »

One of my favorite albums of all time.

Alone in the Dark and Raging Waters are favorites, but the wholet thing rules!!   devilbang

I also think this is the quietest CD I own, I have to turn it up to like 17 to enjoy properly.
It is a very quite CD,,,,,
Hellboy
Supremus Bastardus
Administrator
Metal God

Damn You All To Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

another tidbit on this album. I totaled my car on I-85 outside of Greenville, SC when a brown BMW pushed me off the highway into the grassy median because he was not paying attention and I rolled my car 5 or 6 times witnesses said and landed upside down. Any how....Like I said, I totaled my car.  When I got my new car, I had my previous car stereo installed in my new car and the very cassette played in my new car was Testament's "The Legacy"!!!!!!! devilbang devilbang devilbang

eek2 That's one hell of a story, did you get hurt???
DId your car go over the wall? ( sorry couldn't resist  Cool )

The Legacy is a pure classic of thrash metal madness that makes me want to bang my head against the wall every time I hear the fucker!  devilbang
The production sound a bit dated but so does every album produced by Alex Perialas
Actually the first four TESTAMENT could use a good remastering job  Up To Something

moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »

Actually the first four TESTAMENT could use a good remastering job  Up To Something

I concur,,,,,and I've always wondered why it hasn't been done,,,,,
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »

The Legacy is a pure classic of thrash metal madness that makes me want to bang my head against the wall every time I hear the fucker!  devilbang
The production sound a bit dated but so does every album produced by Alex Perialas

THanks to my vinyl collection and my seat belt I was not seriously hurt.  I was kind of kept in place in my car and not thrown around.  I did bust up my knees which to this day still cause me pain.  Going thru Physical therapy for them now for something that I thought was unrelated but my orthopedic Dr said could have been part of the beginnings of what I am experiencing now was the wreck and the trauma I put my knees thru hitting the dash.

Welcome to My HELL
The True Fortress
Metalhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

THanks to my vinyl collection and my seat belt I was not seriously hurt.  I was kind of kept in place in my car and not thrown around.  I did bust up my knees which to this day still cause me pain.  Going thru Physical therapy for them now for something that I thought was unrelated but my orthopedic Dr said could have been part of the beginnings of what I am experiencing now was the wreck and the trauma I put my knees thru hitting the dash.

Holy-moly, that's one heck of a story! Glad you weren't killed. Could have been, easily. Sorry to hear about your knees.

This Testament record kick ass! The band has mostly been top-flight throughout the years and is one of the true legends of extreme heavy metal.

It is funny, however, to recall a time when much was made of Testament being a Johnny-come-lately to the thrash arena. Time has shown the group to be much, much more. 
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »

It is funny, however, to recall a time when much was made of Testament being a Johnny-come-lately to the thrash arena. Time has shown the group to be much, much more. 
Very true,,,,,the nay-sayers would probably deny they ever said such things,,,,,
Venom
MM Staff
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:21 AM »

Holy-moly, that's one heck of a story! Glad you weren't killed. Could have been, easily. Sorry to hear about your knees.

This Testament record kick ass! The band has mostly been top-flight throughout the years and is one of the true legends of extreme heavy metal.

Yeah Good thing my father always instilled in me to wear my seat belt even when it was not the law.

Welcome to My HELL
moshdrum69
Metal God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »

Yeah Good thing my father always instilled in me to wear my seat belt even when it was not the law.
cheers
Release
Metal God

Betallus Maximus Expertus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:01 AM »

Hmmm, I didn't see too much of that out here in Virginia.  They were always up there.  Not at the Metallica or Slayer levels but certainly way up there.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.